What does a Christian look like?
- Reading my Bible?
- Faithfully quote the Lord's Prayer?
- Going to Sunday School?
- Attending Church?
- Wearing a dress to all church functions?
- Singing on the praise team?
- Lifting my hands while I sing a worship song?
- Knowing the 10 Commandments?
- Sitting on the board?
- Having a fish symbol on my vehicle?
Many would say that fits the description. But, when I get to heaven, is Christ really going to greet me and say:
- How much of the Bible did you read each day?
- How early in the morning did you wake up to pray?
- Did you miss any Sunday School meetings or Church times?
- Did denim ever enter My house?
- How was praise team practice?
- I like how you hold two hands up when you worship instead of just one!
- How old were you when you memorized My Commandments?
- How many people voted YES to you being on the board?
- Did you have only one fish symbol on your vehicle?
Here's what I hear Christ really saying to me at heaven's gate:
- What did I say to you through my Word? Did you get it? Did you apply it to your life?
- When you prayed, did you mean it? Did you live My will being done in your life?
- When you went to Sunday School and Church, did you learn something new? Did you let it expand your view of who I am and who I can be in/through you?
- Where was your heart when you sang to Me? Where you worshiping me or showing off? Did you mean the words to the songs?
- Did you follow My Commandments?
- When you served in that position in the Church, did you really pray about those decisions or do what you wanted? Did you put Me and My people first?
- When you had that symbol representing Me on your vehicle, did you represent me in your attitude while you drove?
Christ is less interested in the practice of our Christianity
and more interested in the quality of our relationship with Him.
Christ is less interested in the policy of our practice
and more interested in the quality of our lessons learned.
Christ is less interested in the piety of our Christian talk
and more interested in the quality of our Christ-filled, God-led walk.
Christ is less interested in the possessiveness of our traditions
and more interested in the quality of our passion to seek God's face.
Christ is less interested in the positiveness of our platitude
and more interested in the quality of our attitude.
Christ is less interested in the power of our position
and more interested in the quality of our confidence in Him.
Christ is less interested in the precedence of our title
and more interested in the quality of our heart-humility.
Christ is less interested in the parade of our physical appearance
and more interested in the quality of our inward spirit.
Christ is less interested in the puny-ness of our knowledge
and more interested in the quality of our priority to follow Him.
Christ is less interested in the pettiness of our disputes
and more interested in the quality of our compassion, mercy, grace & forgiveness.
Christ is less interested in the performance of our bodies
and more interested in the quality of our soul's health.
Christ has already done what is necessary to give us every opportunity to accept His gift of personal relationship with Him. We only have to look up, reach out and accept.
Full surrender to God will infuse in us a passion for His will in our life.
Complete and total control given to God will awaken in us a desire to see others experience Christ in a real and powerful way!
We won't want to keep it to ourselves!
We won't want to just let the hurting walk by without knowing the cure to their pain.
We won't want to hide the truth we possess.
We won't want to even breathe without giving God all the praise!
Is that the kind of relationship you have with Jesus Christ? (I'm talking even to myself here. I've experienced this kind of daily miracle-witnessing, prayer-answering, God-speaking relationship. My tendency is to allow difficult circumstances to distract me and keep me "busy" so that my relationship with God wains. Then, I wonder why I feel down, depressed or out-of-sorts.
One thing that kept my God-relationship alive was my weekly support group of women who, without fail, held me accountable, encouraged me and reminded me of God's faithfulness in my moments of weakness. This has been the one thing I have missed since moving to Texas! Being away from that has been so very hard because it was extremely special to me!
So, the goal now is to face trial and fire with a renewed sense of God's out-pouring in my life...because I'm seeking it, expecting it and knowing God's promises to me are a sure-thing! I'm done with feeling down, depressed and out-of-sorts! I'm looking up, reaching out and accepting because I can't remain in a place of feeling alone and powerless. When I recognize that God is all I need, I am whole!)
How about you?
Will you join me in seeking God's face?
Will you worry less about what you are or aren't doing in the eyes of others and just focus on needing Christ and a relationship with Him?
Will you throw off that fake smile and just cry out to God?
Will you pull down the facade and allow God to be real through you?
Will you brace yourself, arms wide open, for a life of powerful relationship with Jesus Christ?
Will you take on being a genuine Christian?